Christmas 2006, Fairhaven Massachusetts
Silence as snowflakes drift alight
Illuminated by homes with candle light
A church bell tolls, with soft clear sound
Completed in 1894, this large French gothic building was a gift to the Town of Fairhaven by oil magnate and town benefactor Henry Huttleston Rogers in honor of his first wife, Abbie. The building features magnificent stained-glass windows and ornate woodwork, along with extraordinary terra cotta sculptures and detailing on the exterior. Author Mark Twain spoke at the 1894 dedication. Since it’s dedication the town has had a tradition of gathering for caroling on the steps of the town hall each Christmas season, then gathering inside for hot chocolate.